Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Perfect Size 0

I'll be the FIRST to tell you that today, in America, we have an issue with overweight and obesity.

In fact, about 3/4 of our population is currently either overweight or obese and America is the ONLY country in the world who has a scale for morbid obesity.

This is a problem.

And still, I'll be the first to tell you that our country struggles with eating disorders. I personally blame a lot of this on media (especially social).

Eating disorders ARE a mental illness. But through work and therapy they can be reversed and lives can be saved. 

This is a problem.

But what if I told you that in the past 2 years-ish or so that I've gone from wearing a size 0/1 to a size 5? 

Immediately I'm sure you're thinking, "Wow! She's gained a lot of weight."

And what if I told you that I, in fact, haven't gained a single pound. 

Now I'll let you you, every word of this is true.

Don't get me wrong Target is my FAVORITE store of probably ever. They have the most adorable home goods, clothes and decorative style hands down.

However, about 3 months ago I wanted to get some of their shorts when they were B1G1 50% off- because that's a super great deal. I was sort of in a hurry, so I grabbed a size 1 and a size 3 and ran back to the dressing room. The size 1's wouldn't go past my thighs. And the size 3's got all the way up but wouldn't button up without extreme-muffin-toppage.

And by simply looking at the size 5's I thought there was NO possible way they would fit, they looked huge.

When my mom came into town to visit she brought some shorts and we sort of swapped out with each other choosing some that fit the other better (you get the point). And she had a ton of Target shorts that were size 5.

 If you know my mother at all she is extremely tiny. She's about 5'4" and 105 lb. and she was wearing a size 5?

You can understand my puzzlement I'm sure. So I asked her to try them on, since they fit her so well (some how). And sure enough they fit. Perfectly, in fact. 

And as we continue looking through her clothes she pulls out a very large pair of shorts. I tried them on and they were much longer than the others and much more loose around the waist than all of the others. So I decide to look at the brand and size, just to see if maybe they were a size, oh 7 or so.

I glanced. I looked again. Mossimo: Size 2. Practically falling off of my waist.

I suddenly couldn't even speak. I got it. Right then and there I understood the exact reason our country is suffering from so many eating issues. Over-eating, under-eating, binge-eating, purging. I got it. 

I don't blame Target for this, because I know that they aren't alone. But something terrible is happening. How can it be that in only 2 years a company can change their scale to a 4-5x SMALLER scale. Does this not terrify anyone else?

And how are we supposed to stick together and encourage others that they are at a healthy weight and do not need to lose weight when a size 2 (2 years ago) is now wearing a size 7-9?

I can't even imagine the pain. I know that I'm tiny, I always have been. But for those women and men who do not know that they are tiny, or normal, this could be a horrible thing. I felt worried that I was gaining weight once I realized I had jumped up 5 sizes. And as I stepped on a scale for the first time in a few months, nothing had changed.

So here I am, 5'5" weighing 108 lb. (underweight technically) collecting clothes in my closet from sizes 00 (American Eagle) up to a size 5 (Mossimo). 

I have no conclusion for this story. I only know that I have an issue with what is happening.

Perhaps it's time that we come up with a world policy of sizing. 26" waist= size whatever. World wide. End of story.

Or maybe we should focus a little less on the size. Maybe, like guy jeans, we should focus on the seams. Inches in waist, inches in length and call it a day.

Wanting to be the "perfect" size 0 has become an issue. Let's not focus on our size of pants, but instead of the way we feel inside. Let's focus on feeling healthy, happy and balanced in life.

Maybe, just maybe this could be the start to a happier and healthier United States

.
Xoxo,
   B

No comments:

Post a Comment