Friday, January 15, 2016

"Cancer Saved My Life"

I have been lucky enough to be placed at an amazing Oncology center as part of my "enrichment" rotation through my school's coordinated dietary program.

Today marks 2 weeks at the facility, with 10 actual days on campus.

I began staff relief at their site yesterday, on my 9th day at the facility- this just means I am 100% on my own, unless I have questions or request help from someone.

I was so worried going into this part of my rotation that I would be surrounded by hurt, fear, and extreme illness that I was very worried.

However, my experience has been quite the opposite.

This facility has inspired me so much. I have already met the most wonderful, cheerful, positive people. It's incredible, and still- so heartbreaking.

Every single person at this hospital either has cancer, or has previously fought cancer.

Many of them are still fighting.

Quickly, I just wanted to share a story of a patient with you: This is of a story of a man that I met today. A man that will forever stick with me in life.

Before seeing patients I look into their medical chart and learn everything I can in about 10 minutes. I focus on their past and present, as it is all relevant when it comes to nutrition.

With this man particularly, I noticed that he had lost 67 pounds, which was about 27% of his body weight in 8 months. 27%. This is a Dietitian's nightmare.

However, before I freaked out, I wanted to meet this guy.

I enter the room to a man smiling ear-to-ear only 1 day after a massive surgery. And yet, he smiled. He has not eaten in 4 days now, they are not progressing his diet, and they are worried that something did not go right- and still, smiles.

I couldn't help but feel a little confused, yet reassured by his mannerisms post major body issues.

As we speak he explains that he had intentionally lost the weight, though more quickly than he ever anticipated. The patient told me that as soon as he found out he had cancer, he immediately put away the sugars, dropped breads, and picked up the fruits and vegetables.

And then, he adds, "You know what... cancer saved my life."

I'm most positive my jaw literally dropped. 

I have felt pretty sick all week, and I have honestly complained about it at  least 5 times each day, because I feel like crap, feel like I look like crap, and I'm stressed the hell out about life.

Then today, I meet this man. A man who has been fighting cancer (3 different types throughout his entire body for a couple of years) and he manages to find a way to be "thankful" to have cancer.

So you know? Who cares that I don't feel well? Nobody here feels well either. 

WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE.

Also, where do I find more people like this?
 (Not sick people, genuinely thankful, kind, positive people)

This patient explained that he was not feeling well for a long while, and that when he finally went to an oncologist to be checked based on symptoms they had found his blood-pressure to be critically high. The doctors told him he was lucky he hadn't already had a heart attack, stroke... or die. 

He immediately changed his life around to become a healthier person. He made promises to his family, he told me, and he had to keep them.

I am confident in saying that those who are faced with cancer are some of the strongest individuals I will ever have the pleasure of meeting.

My closing statement is this: "Every day may not be good, but there is good in every day"

Even on our worst days, others have it worse.
Let's all try to inspire one another to become better humans.
Let us learn from each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment